Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Locking down public wireless access

From: "Smith, Aaron" <SmithA () byui edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:59:58 -0700

We've used a gateway appliance from Bluesocket.com to provide a similar
setup.  The authentication is web-based using https.  It ties into our
backend directory and provides different access based on who the user
is.  Bluesocket can also require that you make a VPN tunnel to get
access, but we didn't like that idea.

We don't encrypt anything because we didn't feel that protecting the
data was worth the time it would take to manage it (do you need to
encrypt Bobby's email to Suzy saying, "Can I borrow your notes from
biology class?").  Application layer crypto is good enough to protect
registration and personal data.  When employees start using it, we will
start encrypting it at the network layer.

If you want to use the WRT54G, check out www.sveasoft.com for some
custom firmware.  They have releases that may do what you're looking
for.  Good luck,

@@ron Smith