Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

FW: Username password VS hardware token plus PIN

From: "Paul Melson" <psmelson () comcast net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:46:18 -0500

The PIN is essentially the user's password.  It is the "something you know"
part of the two-factor authentication axiom.  (If just login name would
suffice, then SANS would have to reprint all of that training material with,
"Something you have, and something EVERYBODY knows."  And that just won't
happen.)

The point of PIN+TOKENCODE is that it easily drops into a password field as
a single string, like, "We've secretly replaced Don's old RADIUS server with
ACE Server.  Let's see if he notices!"  But in that same vein, many of these
products will let you require a PIN that meets with normal password
complexity requirements and expiration.  They just keep on calling it a PIN
because, well, the acronym for Personal Identification String might offend
someone.  That would mean that your users could be forced to type
!@myl33+Pazzw0rD093469 into a password field instead of their usual
1234093469, but they'll quickly get over it.

I question the value of additional passwords to this equation even if they
are challenged against separate directories.  The purpose of tokens is to
reduce the risk of unauthorized use of an authorized account.  Insofar as
the token makes it difficult for an account to be used simultaneously by two
different people, with or without the knowledge of the authorized party, it
is an effective technology.

PaulM