Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Application-level Attacks

From: "Bill Royds" <bill () royds net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:02:01 -0500

Perhaps the distinction is really between data attacks versus protocol attacks,
no matter what layer the attack occurs.
 In an protocol attack, one attacks the network protocol itself using syntax
manipulation.
 In a data attack, one wants to access or change the data at the information
level to attack the business itself by fraud etc.

   Past attacks often had the effect of halting computer operations for a
period, but did not affect the overall enterprise. Nowadays, as business and
computer networks  become intricately linked, attacking the computers and
networks attacks the main business. This also means the IT security becomes
fundamental to enterprise security. For many businesses their connection to the
Internet is as important as their connection to the water and power grids.
  Firewalls have traditionally worked by ensuring that the protocols they
monitor were valid but did not restrict much the actual information content of
the data that passed through. They ensured safe syntax. Newer tools like IPS or
web filters are attempts to handle attacks at message content level by having an
idea of what is valid in the business context, not just the network protocol
context. Since each business context is different, they are much harder to tune
than before. But the need for filters at this level is becoming more and more
apparent as the attacks shift away from lower level technology to high level
information.