Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Going meta (was RE: Ok, so now we have a firewall...)

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 13:36:20 -0400

Bill McGee (bam) wrote:
This is a classic "perfect world" versus "real world" scenario. I think
Chris Blask nailed it on the head earlier when he said we have to
acknowledge (and live with) the limitations of what we have while
working to build something better. That's a challenge to be taken
individually AND as a collective.

I must disagree.

As I read your posting, I had to take a couple of deep breaths
because it triggered a really strong emotional response in me,
and I wasn't sure why.  My initial urge was to just hit the
afterburner but I realized that you're actually being quite
reasonable. But I think your position is reasonable in the
context of current security practices - and therein lies the
problem. In "Marcus Land" the way 99.999% of the world
does computer security is so utterly silly that I simply
reject what most practitioners see as the "real world"
and "practical security."  Perhaps you can imagine how
weird it feels; I sometimes wonder if I'm the lone nutcase
who still believes that the world is a flat tray that is
carried on the back of a giant turtle. Or, perhaps I am
the lone nutcase who thinks it's round and all the folks
who preach "real world" still think it's flat.

The simple answer is "time will tell" but, like with the
flat-versus-round earth controversy, it's important to get
people thinking in terms of observable phenomena that
might bear out the accuracy or inaccuracy of a particular
view. So let's look at some assumptions, shall we??

For the last 15 years we've seen security practitioners
trying hard to "be practical" and "facilitate business
needs" etc. You've all seen how that plays itself out
in the real world - business needs bump up against
security concerns and some kind of compromise
occurs. Sometimes the compromise is small, other
times it's large - but it's virtually always someplace
on the continuum between "less than guaranteed
security" and "no security at all."  So now's where
I point out the paw of the turtle: LOOK AT WHAT
IS HAPPENING.

In the last 15 years, the rate at which systems are
compromised has consistently increased year after year.
Granted, the measurements are not very scientific,
but I think we can probably agree on the broad
trend:
Security is getting worse.

Now, let's look at another data point: we're spending
more money on security all the time. Again, the
numbers aren't very scientific but the various research
analysts estimate that security expenditures have
been outperforming the rest of technology expenditures
year after year. Estimates vary between 5% and 9%
compounded annual growth in security budget (adjusted
for inflation) compared to 2% to 5% overall for information
technology. If you don't buy those numbers, do your own
research - it wouldn't help for me to post links because
if you want to believe I am manipulating numbers then
you'd also believe I'd manipulate the choice of links I
offered. I hope we can agree on the broad trend:
We have been accellerating security spending.

OK, now, we're spending more and the problem is getting
worse. Can we agree that expenditure on security is a
measure of "quantity of technology"? I.e.: how much
stuff we are throwing at the problem? If so, there are
different conclusions we can draw from that:
Option A) There is a relationship between the effectiveness
        of security technology and its quantity
Option B) There is no relationship between the effectiveness
        of security technology and its quantity

If 'A' is true, and we're spending more on security
and security is getting worse, then we should immediately
stop spending money on security and hope it gets
better. Right?  I don't believe that. Which leads us to
option 'B' - what are the implications of option B?

If 'B' is true, then there is some other reason why our
security gets worse no matter how much we spend on
it. I can't haul us all past this point with pure logic, but
maybe if you look closely you can see the shadow of
the entire turtle.

Some possibilities:
- Some of the products we're buying simply don't work
- Some of the products we're buying aren't being used
        properly
- There is no correlation between cost and effectiveness
        of security products
- (some of the above)
- (all of the above)

A few years ago I tried to point out that the same logic
applies to security education. We're spending more money
and time teaching people about computer security than
ever before. The situation is getting worse. Ergo; it's not
helping, let's stop wasting the money and search for an
alternative. As you can imagine (especially since I made
that observation during the keynote of a conference that
makes its $$ doing security education) that view was not
popular.

Anyhow, I've tried to keep this clear and unemotional,
and I hope that if you've stuck with me this far you'll
see where I'm coming from. I think that the security
practitioners who are preaching "real world" are
really advertising their willingness to compromise in
an area where the results of those compromises are all
blindingly clear.

To me, the stellar example remains the whole firewall
"debate" of the early 1990's. Let's not beat around the
bush: convenience kicked security's ass in 1994 and
has been kicking it ever since. Yes, there are lots of
perfectly good-sounding "business justifications" for
doing it, but today's firewalls let too much stuff back
and forth. To me, the fact that organizations with
firewalls continue to get brutally hacked is empirical
proof of that view. I know a handful of organizations
that have very strict firewalls with draconian and
unpopular rulesets - and they simply don't get
hacked. To me, that's a good argument supporting
my view. I can't prove any of this, and there are no
studies I can think of that attempt to tie practices to
getting hacked, but I bet if there was, there'd be a lot
of red faces in the security community.

Basically, what's going on is that a lot of security
practitioners are in the position of being asked to make
something safe that is fundamentally dangerous. So
we hide behind the notion of "risk management" -
basically the illusion that "if we try hard to cover our
butts it's less dangerous than otherwise." What that
has accomplished is to create an environment in
which security has NO CHOICE but to compromise
because senior execs know that if they don't get
the answer they want out of one security practitioner,
they can keep asking until they get the answer
they want out of another that has been better
trained in the art of "security by bending over and
gripping your ankles tightly" (the "tight" part of
the ankle-gripping is known as "risk management.")

My feeling is that during the 90's we, as an industry,
dug ourselves into a hole we're not going to be able
to spend or risk manage our way out of. We did that
by trying to deal with the "real world" instead of
demanding excellence, good design, and wise
leadership.

I am totally sympathetic to the plight of the security
practitioner who isn't willing to put his job on the line
by telling the CTO he's a moron. I completely understand
why people feel they need to compromise. But I still
think compromise is for sissies.

mjr.