Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Ok, so now we have a firewall, we're safe, right?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () stjoelive com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:57:34 -0500

Have you noticed how TSA treats security post 9/11? No thanks, I don't want
the government telling us how we have to conduct business. These things get
ironed out, every day, the way they should: someone loses something due to
someone else's neglect or negligence, that person gets sued/goes to jail.

If your charged with security the best you can do is document everything you
do and why - including those things proposed to management that were shot
down - and move on. Your responsibility is to carry out the wishes of your
company and if they don't correspond with your morals or ethics you're free
to quit, and you should.

This, like so many other things, is about personal responsibility, not
government control.

As for financial companies that only reduce risk enough to make it
"tolerable", they'll get along with it until either their board, their
shareholders or their customers hold their feet to the fire. And, as you
say, most people don't care so that's not likely to happen soon - so what?
Why do you care? Protect yourself and be happy, right?

Our hands have to be placed on hot (regulatory) coals to
implement security. Even then we procrastinate and lobby to
reduce the requirements *and* accountability - and ask
vendors to automate and hide complexity. Automation and
security aren't good bedfellows.

Where security is involved, otherwise rationale adults
devolve into whining, rebellious, scheming, negotiating
adolescents. The critical parent (regulatory) social style
isn't working. The nurturing parent style isn't working. If
you've know a way to create adult-adult conversations on the
topic of network security, I'm eager to hear them.