Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Cisco acls

From: "Mathew Want" <mathew.want () ac3 com au>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:04:47 +1100

Eric,

In short, Yes. What's worse is that if there is an error in the new ACL that
you paste in then you wind up with only half the ACL in effect until you
either paste back the original list or debug the one you are trying to
apply. I used to have this concern myself when I had a large ACL on my
border routers until I was shown a way to avoid this. It looks a little long
winded but it works a treat for me. Please note that some of the steps
listed are for completeness.

1. Save the Config
2. Take a copy of the config and paste into notepad (or editor of
preference).
3. Isolate the ACL (access-list 177 from your example) and change the number
to an unused ACL number (lets assume 178) so now 177 and 178 are identical
rules.
4. Apply 178 to the router and watch for errors. If no errors go to the
interface(s) that 177 is applied to and change the access-group from 177 to
178. This should leave no time gap in the ACL (or at least a much much
smaller one).
5. In the notepad version of 177, add, remove or re-order the ACL lines you
need to.
6. On the router remove ACL 177 and apply the new 177. Watch for errors.
7. Change the access-group on the interface back to 177.
8. Remove ACL 178 from the router (for cleanliness)
9. Save the Config.

If you are not concerned with keeping the ACL number the same you can make
your edits to the 178 ACL and save a few steps (and maybe use the ACL number
as a revision number) but I always liked keeping the ACL number the same to
avoid collissions and confusion.

Hope this helps,
--
Regards,