Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Backup Checkpoint Firewall

From: Nathaniel Hall <halln () otc edu>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:51:55 -0500

Thanks for the input.  My next problem is with upgrade_export it says the following:

"You are required to close all Check Point clients before the export begins. If the export fails, stop Check Point services and run the upgrade_export command again. Press ENTER when ready.."

Problem 1) How can I ensure all clients are closed? My first thought was to run cpstop, but my coworker said it used to only stop the Dashboard, but now it stops everything. That is a problem since backups are going on at the same time.

Problem 2)      Press ENTER when ready.  How would I do that in a batch file?

I know this is not the best place for problem 2, but it is still a problem.

Nathaniel Hall, GSEC
Intrusion Detection and Firewall Technician
Ozarks Technical Community College -- Office of Computer Networking

halln () otc edu
417-447-7535
GPG Public Key ID: 0xAC187312

Paul Melson wrote:
I would use upgrade-export on the SmartCenter server to create backups.
This should get you everything you could ever hope to restore into a single
file.  It definitely meets the last two criteria, and it should be easy
enough to encrypt, since the actual export is a tar/gzip archive.  To
restore, you use the appropriately-named upgrade-import tool.

PaulM