Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Backup Checkpoint Firewall

From: "Paul Melson" <psmelson () comcast net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 13:48:22 -0400

Problem #2 is easy:

echo | upgrade_export

Problem #1 is not so easy, or at least not so straightforward.  You can see
who is connected by using SmartView Status and clicking on the 'Management'
object - connected clients appear in the Details pane.  Automating this in a
batch file isn't particularly feasible, so you have to use something like
'cpstop' (or use 'net stop ...' to kill the Windows service, if your
management server is running on Windows).

If your firewall and management server run on the same box, running 'cpstop'
will cause problems.  If this is the case, I would recommend that you
manually verify that there are no client connections and run upgrade_export
manually when there are policy changes.  If you have to automate it, you can
choose to hope that nobody is logged in and then use the upgrade checker
(http://www.checkpoint.com/techsupport/downloadsng/utilities.html#upgrade_ve
rify) to verify the integrity of the upgrade_export file after the fact.
Typically, clients holding tables open won't prevent upgrade_export from
working properly unless there is a particular row locked by the client, for
instance if someone is running dbedit.

PaulM