Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The home user problem returns

From: Mason Schmitt <mason () schmitt ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:26:32 -0700

Brian Loe wrote:
I'm not sure I follow the purpose. The customer is being sold a certain
amount of bandwidth and you are providing it. The customer isn't entitled to
more than the contracted bandwidth and you're not entitled to restrict the
customer's bandwidth below the contracted rate - right?

I mean, here at home the local cable provider throttles down your connection
if they notice you using something like Shareaza. Their excuses start with
the bandwidth argument, but that doesn't hold if I'm paying for 3mb, I
should get it or they shouldn't sell it. Their next excuse is security, and
being the security minded guy that I am, I can almost relate. BUT... no,
they're a utility company. I'm BUYING my bandwidth from them and therefore
MY safety is MY problem - I expect them to provide me with bandwidth (and
that's all) and to protect themselves on their own time and dime.

Am I wrong here? If so, let me know.

I think you're wrong.

When you have irate customers on the phone saying that the fact their
computer is infected is your fault, or that they are getting all this
spam and we should be doing something about it, or that their connection
is horribly slow and we explain that it's because their computer is
filled to the gills with spyware and the customer has accidentally left
a p2p app running that allows un-restricted uploads, then I do think
that the ISP should be doing something about it.  If enough customers
demand something of a business, it's generally within that business's
best interest to listen to their customers.  If you happen to be in the
minority that doesn't want or need this sort of service, then perhaps
the ISP can find a way to give you access to your crap, but if it's
going to affect the other users that have expressed that they don't want
that crap, then you're probably going to find yourself hunting for
another ISP.  I expect and hope that this is exactly what more and more
ISPs will begin to do, now that the problems are getting so bad.

--
Mason