Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The home user problem returns

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () stjoelive com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:06:30 -0500

<this e-mail was filtered to the junk mail box by Outlook - go figure>

As has been pointed out on this list many times and even in
this thread, the average home user does not have the
knowledge or resources to really be responsible for the
actions of their computers or those using them for their own
nefarious purposes.  This is somewhat akin to the young
offenders act.  You as an adult however, have full knowledge
of what you do and say and so should definitely be held
responsible for your own actions.  That's the theory anyway.
Given that people can spill coffee on their lap and then
successfully sue McDonalds gives me pause...  Many people
seem to think that nothing is their responsibility. :P

Exactly. You may have never seen, used or owned a gun in your life, but you
are probably able to go buy one. Once you do buy one, how it is handled and
what you do with it is YOUR responsibility. The training is widely available
to you, it is YOUR responsibility to get that training. YOU are accountable
for what YOU do with that gun.

Same as your computer.

The
spam, the viruses...you can't prevent me, your customer,
from being stupid.

Can't stop you from being stupid, but I can certainly do
something from stopping your stupidity from harming others.

That's where you messed up in your argument in the last e-mail. I'm not
talking about your customers SENDING spam, I'm talking about them RECEIVING
it. Their stupidity, as I'm referring to it, has nothing to do with them
harming others but themselves being harmed.

Trying to do so only ruins the service for all of us. Now
MY bandwidth
is getting eaten by your good intentions just because my neighbor
can't keep his teenager off the porn sites.

Actually, if the ISP is really being fair about it, your
performance overall may actually be improved.  Seriously.

Bandwidth management is becoming a very important part of
running an ISP.  If an ISP wants to provide customers with a
connection that "feels" fast, they have to get involved -
caching, rate limiting, filtering, bit caps.  If ISPs did
nothing to manage bandwidth, you wouldn't be as happy with the result.

Of course I wouldn't - they can't provide me the bandwidth they're selling,
not if they had to provide that same bandwidth to all of their customers.
When I started my POP in Warrensburg, MO in 1995 I had a 56k line to my
provider and 10 28.8 customer modems. Think they all had 28.8 bandwidth?!

PLEASE explain to me how my P2P app is going to affect you
- my ISP -
or my neighbor?

I'm not overly worried about your p2p app anymore and your
neighbor doesn't have to worry too much about it either.

Now I AM confused!