Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The home user problem returns

From: "Tina Bird" <tbird () precision-guesswork com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:17:58 -0700

i disagree. i don't know *anyone* who willingly makes a fundamental,
significant change in their behavior without pain as a
motivator. for
every
example of your first category that you can present, i can
*probably*
demonstrate that the "apparent" change is really an example
of the person
behaving consistently with some deeper part of their
personality, which
isn't changing.

Whether you believe the first kind of choice exists or not doesn't
really matter.  Perhaps I just like to believe that it does so that I
can have a bit more faith in the intelligence (latent
intelligence?) of
humanity. :)

good point. and is it intelligence or wisdom? hard to say.

At any rate, I'm glad that you believe change due to pain is possible.
Just to be clear, I don't mean pain forced upon someone, I mean pain
that people experience as a result of their own action or inaction.

if i force the pain upon people based on their actions or inaction, does
that still count? cos they're mostly not volunteering for it...

I do the same thing.  I usually also follow up by telling my
mom or dad
why I did it and take that as an opportunity to tell them a bit about
what other things they may want to think about to help
protect themselves.

to some extent, though, that's audience dependent. my dad is always very
interested in what i've done and what he needs to know himself, because he's
very curious about computers, and he likes to understand how things work. my
mom, on the other hand, really *doesn't* want to know.

which is another way of saying, i suppose, that it's only the choir, or
potential chorists, who will *ever* listen to us. at least without the pain.

Arrogant maybe.  Intrusive probably.  However, I still think it's a
great idea.  That's kind of what I've been looking at except
that I have
to be more reactive than proactive, so I'm planning to go
with the leper
colony or penalty box idea.

carrot, meet stick. stick, meet carrot :-)

p.s. disclosure: i'm security architect for infoexpress, a company that
produces one of these endpoint enforcement systems...i joined them after
surviving blaster at stanford, and deciding that endpoint enforcement was
going to change the universe...yeah right...