Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX v7: routing without NAT

From: Avishai Wool <avishai.wool () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 01:35:18 +0200

Hi,

to get any of your public IP addresses on the same subnet with the
ISP's 1.1.1.1 you must use a "/25" subnet - which will cover
the whole range of 1.1.1.0 - 1.1.1.127. So AFAIK you can't do what
you want directly.

But NAT is your friend. How about this instead:
a) define your outside interface
  1.1.1.65 netmask 255.255.255.128
(now your pix can talk to the ISP router)

make sure the ISP defines 1.1.1.65 as the next-hop router for all of
your subnet.

b) define your inside interface as a private address, say
  10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
c) put your servers at 10.0.0.66 - 10.0.0.95

d) use PIX "static" commands to translate the public
 1.1.1.x addresses to your private 10.0.0.x addressse
for incoming requests,

e) use PIX nat/global commands to allow your servers to
 initiate outbound traffic (if they need to)

HTH,
  Avishai