Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: In defense of non standard ports

From: Karl <karl.mueller () asolutions com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:59:26 -0600

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 03:28:37PM -0600, Behm, Jeffrey L. wrote:

Overheard at the water cooler: "Well, company X allows this traffic, why
don't we? They are much larger than us and probably understand security
*much* better than we do. Since they think it's safe, shouldn't we think
it's safe, too?"  I'm still looking for wording used to combat the
cluelessness of such mindset in both our own companies, as well as
companies that are creating situations that make us run web traffic on
non-web ports.

When I hear this, I usually start with something along the lines of "and company X certainly has a legal department
prepared to handle the litigation when a boxen inside their network is used to attack or probe a sensitive computer
system."

While this may or may not be true, it usually gets enough attention from the original speaker that the LART follow-up
is met with something other than a glassy-eyed stare.  That's when we get to talk about containment, detection,
compartmentalization, individual responsibility, and all those other topics related to accepting the risk of a
networked computer system.

Its not about *if* you're gonna get hacked.  Its about *when*, and what happens next.

YMMV, but this approach has worked for me.

-k