Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls that generate new packets..

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:18:10 -0500

Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
Sorry to be nitpicking, but can we make that DDOS, then?

DDOS = "Distributed Denial Of Service"
I.e.: the attack is not originating from a single source. The term
DDOS hasn't got anything to do with the mechanism of the
attack. A lot of DDOS attacks are bandwith saturation attacks,
but not all.

At least I use to think of DOS as "ping of death" or
"carefully crafted application packet of death" in contrast
to DDOS as "simply swamp your uplink by thousand of bots".

DDOSing is a technique for launching a DOS attack. So,
by definition, all DDOS attacks will be a subset of DOS
attacks.

I understand how you want to use the terminology but it's
not in line with the normal usage (as I understand it). I
don't think there's an official term for DOS attacks that
take advantage of a flaw (e.g.: ping of death) as opposed
to resource usage attacks (e.g.: bandwith saturation
or CPU exhaustion).

Firewalls can protect against the former.

That's correct.

I think the reason Darren and I jumped on that nitpick with
our boots on is because we periodically run into vendors
who claim to be able to "block DOS attacks."  Which
we know is impossible.

mjr.