Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls that generate new packets..

From: "Fetch, Brandon" <bfetch () tpg com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 13:14:30 -0500

Paul,
I'd have to agree with that position.  If the system is not available,
its services have been denied.  Whether that's through packet buffer
exhaustion (node issue), circuit saturation (path to node issue), or
sending RSTs using impersonated sequence numbers (protocol on node
issue), a DoS is a DoS is a DoS.

Not to rile Mr. mjr anymore than he already has (tiger, balls, kicking,
oh my!) I think a lot of what a firewall was originally "in place"/used
for was to obscure or prevent the exploitation of inherently insecure
systems from the "nefarious public".

Granted, and I'm with mjr on this one, by putting a screen door in front
of what you're trying to protect from the physical impact of raindrops
is still going to get wet in the end so what's the point other than
marketing?

Which I hope is a humorous analogy to close this dead horse of a thread.
:)

Enjoy!
Brandon