Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Opinions wanted...

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:06:33 -0500

We might be able to offer better insights if we understood why you were replacing your current firewalls.

Tim's comment re: common server platform is a good example of one motivation. In his situation, he's (presumably) confident that his server team can secure the underlying platform as well as an appliance solution (claims to) secure its product. Your motivation might be performance, issues with feature set of proxies, desire for an application level security feature you currently don't have, IPv6 support, etc.

Nothing against VARs, but I would trust a security decision to security professionals. If the VAR has some and they can provide a security basis to support their recommendation, terrific. If not, then money may be the motive and that's not always the best motive where security comes into play.

I'd suggest you sit with your security team and anyone in your company who might have some insight into long term business objectives that will influence security requirements (e.g., VOIP). Identify the security objectives the current firewall cannot satisfy. Identify any new security objectives you expect you'll need to satisfy for whatever "business horizon" you can see.

Use the list you come up with rather than a VAR's recommendation or even the well-intentioned suggestions from posters here. Fact is, you probably shouldn't share all the security requirements that might help us help you choose the most appropriate firewall on a mailing list anyway:-)

Timothy Shea wrote:
IMHO - if you haven't used either platform before and only 3 firewalls - either solution will require an equal amount of training to understand and my guess is that the VAR who is recommending against checkpoint will make more money if you buy checkpoint versus sidewinder.

That being said - for your type of application I would lean toward CheckPoint Secure Platform (SPLAT) versus Sidewinder or Checkpoint running on Nokia and my reasoning is that I can normally use what ever hardware platform my server teams support versus buying an all in one appliance solution (checkpoint nokia, sidewinder).

t.s