Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Placement Question

From: "Dan Lynch" <DLynch () placer ca gov>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:19:04 -0800

If it were mine, I'd segment the h*ll out of the networks with stateful
firewalls, and find a NAC solution stat.

Divide your user community into at least two layers and segregate. All
students, dorms, unsecured jacks, wireless networks, etc. belong
together. Protecting one from another with IPS seems appropriate to
contain outbreaks. More or less trusted systems (over which you might
have better control of configs, patches, anti-virus, user behavior)
belong segregated from students. Especially if those systems are used to
connect to high-value apps. Use NAC to determine trusted from untrusted
workstations on unsecured jacks (meeting rooms, classrooms, etc.)

Your server environment could probably use at least three layers as
well. Hang internet-accessible servers off one firewall leg, hang
general purpose academic servers off another, and finally segregate
high-value servers (student records, financials, accounting, etc.) from
all of them.

The inverted rules might make sense in your environment, but only for
connections outbound to the internet. Sure it's higher risk, but I think
students expect the campus network to be generally wide open internet
access. A transparent HTTP proxy running anti-virus might be useful.
Connections from any user segment to any other, and inbound to any
server segment should be carefully restricted.

Yes MS apps can be a pain, but really only where they use RPC -- that
is, within a single AD domain. Dividing MS servers into domains that
more or less match firewall segregations makes things easier.

Best of luck,

- Dan

Dan Lynch, CISSP
Information Technology Analyst