Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: syslog and network management

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:59:50 -0600

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 8:06 PM,  <david () lang hm> wrote:

 > I've found that if you utilize, for instance, syslog-ng, you can split
 > up the log files based on whatever (device type, network, etc.).
 > Searching those smaller files is a lot less CPU intensive.

 true, but I found that syslog-ng was far less effective at the more
 important job of receiving syslog messages from the wire and writing them
 to disk

Really? How so?

We were logging 6 PIXen as well as many switches and routers (and a
much lesser level). We never "noticed" a great loss of messages... I
guess I can assume you did, and maybe I could learn from how you did!
:)

What daemon do you use?