Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

State of security technology for the enterprise

From: "Chris Hughes" <chughes () l8c com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:30:47 -0400

Hello all.

I am currently developing a strategy for evolving the security for my
enterprise network.  Currently I protect the core network (servers and
services) and internet with inline sensors, use HIDS on all client machines
(which performs event correlation with the inline sensors) content
filtering, use of AV on all hosts, SSL and IPSec VPN and spamfiltering on
the edge.

In reviewing the latest offerings I see that there are new and potentially
immature technologies that may be the direction I need to look.  These
include:

DPI (deep packet inspection) firewalls

Content filtering on the firewall

SSL proxying with decryption for filtering abuse and data leak

DLP - related to ssl filtering but with the addition of protecting data at
rest from leaving the network.

VMWARE/Hypervisor sensors to protect my virtual infrastructure

The vendors offerings I am reviewing include:

Cisco

ISS

Juniper

Fortinet

Palo Alto

If I omitted serious contenders from my list please bring them to my
attention.  I also have a feature matrix I am willing to share if anyone is
interested.

Cisco has point product solutions for the most part but Juniper, Palo Alto
and Fortinet are combining some of the new abilities into a single
appliance.

I am looking for conversation on the newer technologies as well as thoughts
of combining them on a single albeit clustered/HA appliance versus separate
solutions for each function.  Another thing I wrestle with is single vendor
solutions versus hybrid solution that offers some dioversity and a system of
checks and balances.

Of particular interest is DPI.  From what I read this will be a major
advance that really grants security admins control at the firewall that they
never had before.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks