IDS mailing list archives

RE: FW: Honeytokens and detection

From: "Pete Herzog" <lists () isecom org>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 21:40:34 +0200

Hi,

Sure if the honeytoken was to be used for internal policy enforcement it
should absolutely be on the secretive side of things. However, I am still
unclear about why ALL the tokens must be a secret to work for Internet
collaborative enforcement?  What if they were public but rotated every month
with new ones?  Would we be weeding out a good number of bad eggs who are up
to no good and the few really clever ones who cross all their t's and dot
their i's will be moving stuff with SCP and therefore not necessarily within
our target anyways?

So if all the major (A)DSL and Cable Modem providers used an IDS to drop and
log any data stream containing the signature from one of 50 or even 500
honeytokens and they shared this signature with each other and a consortium
of other network owners, changing the sigs and honeytokens every month,
wouldn't this be beneficial for enhancing policy management?

Again, I know it's not a simple task to set up and get people to sign up but
the technology and capability is there now.  As Frank Knobbe says, this is
where intrusion detection blurs with forensics.  It's a really interesting
concept.

Sincerely,
-pete.

Pete Herzog
Managing Director
Institute for Security and Open Methodologies
www.isecom.org
www.osstmm.org

ISECOM is the OSSTMM Professional Security Tester (OPST) and OSSTMM
Professional Security Analyst (OPSA) certification authority.  Certifying
professional, practial, and efficient security testing and analysis.