IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS is dead, etc

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 13:40:21 -0400

2003-08-08T13:24:46 Scott Wimer:
I think we are on the same page as to the utility of IDS systems.

Agreed.

Where we differ is in our estimation of the level of vulnerability of
software that is "known" to be good and secure.

I'm not convinced this is true. I feel that you're putting words in
my mouth. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you seem to be responding
to a claim that one can have perfectly secure software. I've not
made such a claim, and will stand beside you refuting it. Perhaps
once again my poor choice of words in that initial statement
"perfect firewall" is biting me.

The number of systems that are backdoored -- today, and the number
of non-public vulnerabilities and exploits is slightly disturbing.

Sure --- but unless the black hats are the folks selling the IDSe,
the IDSes won't catch these secret exploits anyway.

Although, some will argue that the more behavioral oriented NIDS
have moved past that point.

I've heard of one device that I can believe can alert on a
heretofore totally unknown exploit. Not all of 'em, of course, but
some. That's Mazu Networks's enforcer/profiler gizmos. I myself
wouldn't call 'em an IDS, I think they're something different, much
more valuable, and their IDS functionality is the smallest part of
what they're good at. To my tastes, their host classification and
"what-if" modelling are the really hot capabilities. If they were as
affordable as an IDS, then I think they'd help bolster your claim,
but they really are something else and different.

IDSes detect known exploits, and sometimes heretofore unknown
exploits of clearly known and understood vulnerabilities.

-Bennett