IDS mailing list archives

Re: Help in evaluating Inline IDS/IPS solution

From: Stephen Samuel <samuel () bcgreen com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 08:44:07 -0700

Ravi wrote:

From sensor technology perspective, I find that all the vendors seems to be having similar capabilities. But, I am trying to see the continued support on new attacks
     and vulnerabilities found.
One vendor claims that they have 5 dedicated analysts looking at the vulnerabilities and updating signatures (if needed). Another vendors claims that they have more than 20 analysts doing this job. Can this be considered in my eval? Is it that other
     vendor exaggerating the number of resources they have for this job.

All things being equal, 20 analysts are likely to be better than 5.
On the other hand, 5 really skilled analysts with a good support
structure, tools and communication are going to do a better job than
20 beginners with loose communications, low morale and other duties.

If you can get a chance to actually talk to analysts from the two
companies, you should be able to get a sense of what end of the
quality scale the two groups are. That will make more sense of
the quantitative analysis.

--
Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426                samuel () bcgreen com
                   http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/

INTRUSION PREVENTION: READY FOR PRIME TIME?

IntruShield now offers unprecedented Intrusion IntelligenceTM capabilities - including intrusion identification, relevancy, direction, impact and analysis - enabling a path to prevention.

Download the latest white paper "Intrusion Prevention: Myths, Challenges, and Requirements" at: http://www.securityfocus.com/IntruVert-focus-ids2