IDS mailing list archives

Re: Help in evaluating Inline IDS/IPS solution

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () honeynet org>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:04:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Ravi wrote:

Hi,
      My company plans to resell the Network Inline IDS/IPS solution to
our customers and support
      customer. I was given task of evaluation of different solutions in
the market. There are some
      questions asked by our customers and I would like to keep these in
mind while
      evaluating the IDS solutions.

You may want to start with snort-inline.  This is not a commercial
version, but an OpenSource solution based on Snort.  The advantage is
you have access to both the source code and signauture/rules.  Also,
correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that snort-inline is the only
IPS solution that not only can block attacks, but modify/disable
them.  Would be interested to know if any commercial versions suppport
this functionality.

     http://snort-inline.sf.net

lance

INTRUSION PREVENTION: READY FOR PRIME TIME?

IntruShield now offers unprecedented Intrusion IntelligenceTM capabilities
- including intrusion identification, relevancy, direction, impact and analysis
- enabling a path to prevention.

Download the latest white paper "Intrusion Prevention: Myths, Challenges, and Requirements" at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/IntruVert-focus-ids2