IDS mailing list archives

Re: Rather funny; looks like page defacement to me

From: adam <eggroid () hotpop com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:06:31 -0400

I thought this was a joke too - but sadly, it's not. Monday, at the Security Interest Group seminar in Dearborn, MI (Detroit area) Gartner is scheduled to speak on "Intrusion Detection is Dead, Intrusion Prevention is Stillborn, Firewalls are the Future." Hard to believe, isn't it?

Anton Chuvakin wrote:

All,

This link posted on the snort site. I figured I'd send it to the list,
since its a fascinating read.

http://www.gartner.com/5_about/press_releases/pr11june2003c.jsp

My first impression was that it is a page defacement, so outrageous some
claims are. For instance, did you know that IDS actually _cause_ incident
response to happen? :-) Or this gem : "Money Slated for Intrusion
Detection Should Be Invested in Firewalls"?

Best,

INTRUSION PREVENTION: READY FOR PRIME TIME?

IntruShield now offers unprecedented Intrusion IntelligenceTM capabilities - including intrusion identification, relevancy, direction, impact and analysis - enabling a path to prevention.

Download the latest white paper "Intrusion Prevention: Myths, Challenges, and Requirements" at: http://www.securityfocus.com/IntruVert-focus-ids2