IDS mailing list archives

Re: Network hardware IPS

From: nick black <dank () suburbanjihad net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:07:46 +0000 (UTC)

In article <1064824236.3246.90.camel@localhost.localdomain>, Alvin Wong wrote:
I'm interested to find out if anyone can share their experiences or
recommend a network hardware IPS that is deployed in front of the
gateway which is able to detect attack signatures and at the same time,
actively blocking out these attacks, alerting me in the process.

our product, the reflex interceptor, provides this functionality in its
bridging mode of operation.  packets can be filtered on an individual
basis as a result of matching either signatures (policy is set
per-signature) or our anomaly-detection systems (policy is set
per-subsystem).

the logs every time an alert pops up. An ideal solution would be to be
able to detect the patterns and prevent them automatically, can a
network IPS do this?

yes, subject to the constraints of the pattern-describing language it
employs.

I understand that it is possible in some IDS to do a TCP reset after one
had confirmed that the connection is not acceptable, can anyone explain
whether an IDS that can do this be actually "active" as opposed to
passive?

we felt that this was insufficient as a total response; there's a race
condition, for instance, when an attempt to exploit is detected:  shall
your reset get there before the original traffic?  what does one do
about non-tcp attacks?  inline filtering overcomes these particular
obstacles.

It would also be interesting if there could be some amount of trend
analysis built in which can review the destination/source ip traffic
over time, which can be used to identify particular boxes which are
easily targeted, which would mean that more work needs to be done for
that box.

our (and most other) products support reporting and database-like
queries of history.  i believe lancope's tool performs the automatic
trend analysis you seem to want, but am not sure.

--
nick black <dank () reflexsecurity com>
"np:  nondeterministic polynomial-time

Captus Networks IPS 4000
Intrusion Prevention and Traffic Shaping Technology to:
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security & Performance Policies
FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit - WhitePapers - Live Demo
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CaptusNetworks_focus-ids_000101