IDS mailing list archives

Re: Network hardware IPS

From: Ravi Kumar <ravivsn () roc co in>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:24:57 +0530

Hi Alvin,
Setting up a complete security with all the currently available tools
IMHO,the set up can look like this

  INTERNET------- Security Gateway device -----CORPORATE network

Security gateway device should have
        - A stateful pakcet inspection Firewall
          - content filtering and Antivirus
- and above all Inline IPS. I stress it should be working in hand with firewall

Deploying IDS can only alert you about incoming attacks and by the time we react the damage is happened. To get good understanding of the entire traffic coming from Internet, the correct tap point is the gateway of the network. Not to miss a single packet we need to process packets inline That suggests us for a Inline IDS.Even though security is not completely achieved.After we identify the attacks the correct mechanism could be blocking them there itself.

Take the example of snort_inline.
        -Takes the packets from iptables
          - uses snort to detect and
          - blocks the connection by sending TCP resets.
snort_inline uses libipq to queue the packets to user space. I agree that moving packets from user space and back to kernel space consumes lots of processing time. The solution could be

         - Inline IPS that works in the Kernel space
Lots of Inline IDS tools that are available to public works in user space. Hogwash, snort_inline etc takes the packets to user space for processing. Hogwash differs from the snort_inline in the way it takes packets to user space. It also uses the same snort engine for processing.

If any differ please point out, Iptables and snort_inline may not be a complete solution. As I said earlier,
the box requires more than IPtables.

Regards,
Ravi