IDS mailing list archives

RE: Is IDS/IPS worthless?

From: "Bob Walder" <bwalder () spamcop net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:50:37 +0100

This has always happened in IT (I used to be an IT Manager so have
suffered through exactly this type of situation) - unfortunately, IT is
often seen as a pure overhead, adding nothing to the bottom line.
Sometimes that is demonstrably untrue (we installed a computerised stock
system that provided improved customer service - somewhat intangible -
and reduced stock take from 3 months to 3 days - VERY tangible) but most
of the time IT plods along with very expensive personnel (often earning
a lot more than equivalent positions elsewhere in the organisation) and
very expensive equipment that is not actually seen as being used to
produce the product/service being sold.

Very often we were faced with trying to prove how much something like
"an improvement in customer service" added to the bottom line - very
difficult. Likewise, it is impossible to show how much an IPS/IDS system
adds to the bottom line. However, you could probably come up with a
scenario where the corporate network is infected/attacked with something
Slammer-like - something that will bring the network to its knees and
take days to clean up.

How much production time is lost as a result? THAT one translates
directly to the bottom line!
How much will it cost to reconstitute the sales order/customer databases
if they are damaged? That also affects the bottom line directly
How many days are the computers down - what does that cost in loss of
customer confidence?
Etc, etc....

Come up with some real figures, and then point out that at THAT point,
when management asks why it happened and what we could do to stop it
happening again, you would be back to suggesting exactly the measures
you are attempting to propose NOW, BEFORE it actually happens (i.e.
IPS/IDS)

And before someone jumps down my throat to point out that IDS would not
have STOPPED Slammer and how ineffective IPS systems are, etc, etc I
would state that I am offering the above as a very quick EXAMPLE only,
not a detailed consultant's report! There is a lot of work to do to
convert the above arguments, or something similar and more appropriate
to your environment, into some realistic figures - but you get the idea
;o)

Regards,

Bob Walder