IDS mailing list archives

RE: Is IDS/IPS worthless?

From: "Wolfpaw - Dale Corse" <admin-lists () wolfpaw net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:38:07 -0700

Hi Andrew,

An interesting Analogy is that an IDS is like hiring a security
guard for your network. If you depend on your inventory for example,
to make money.. You install an alarm system, or hire a guard. If you
don't want to "waste the money" and protect yourself, don't be all
that surprised when someone drives a truck through the front window,
and cleans you out.

They are time consuming to configure, and by no means a guarantee.
But when you consider the seemingly growing global threat to any
machine (especially a business) that is attached to the internet,
I would hardly toss an IDS in the "waste" category.

Just my 2 cents, and pretty much what I would have said in a meeting
such as that :)

Just a blunt IT guy..
D.
Dale Corse