IDS mailing list archives

RE: Correlation software

From: "Chris Petersen" <chris () security-conscious com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:13:55 -0700

**** Fair-warning, I am the CTO of a Log Management/Correlation Company
*****

The products I am familier with in this area are:
- ArcSight (strong in correlation & eye-candy)
- Intellitactics (good underlying engine from what I've heard)
- GuardedNet (Have heard a log of good things about this product.  I think
they get it)
- NetForensics (strong on reporting side)
- Addamark (not sure what they have for correlation, heavy focus on log
management)
- Open (???)
- LogRhythm...

LogRhythm takes a somewhat different approach than the aformentioned.  It's
based on a distributed log management architecture on top of which event
management is built.  Users can deploy our rules or develop their own to
identify and transform logs into events.  Events are then forwarded to an
event management system.  However, instead of throwing away the log or
normalizing beyond the point of recognition, the orginal logs remain stored
at the log management layer and can be queried on-demand to support event
analysis.  We are also doing some very interesting things in the area of
data-mining intrusion/fraud detection.

For additional information on LogRhythm, a technical whitepaper is available
at http://www.security-conscious.com/literature.html

Chris Petersen
Security Conscious, Inc.
chris () security-conscious com