IDS mailing list archives

RE: alert messages

From: "Phil Hollows" <phil () open com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 11:07:06 -0500

[Disclosure: I work for a security management / log analysis vendor]

Security event management and correlation products, such as Open's Security
Threat Manager (see http://www.open.com), also do what you are looking for.
They monitor firewall, IDS, anti-virus and other sentry systems in
real-time, and alert you based on parameters that you set.  You should look
for the ability to correlate across different vendors (e.g. Cisco PIX and
Checkpoint FW-NG), device classes and vendors (e.g. relate IDS events from
ISS with anti-virus data from Symantec).  The most powerful systems will
also correlate an IDS alert with whether or not the target system appears to
be vulnerable to the attack, and relate all these events to the asset's
value or importance to your organizations.  My company's product also takes
into account where the attack was launched from (e.g. inside the
organization or outside).

The benefit is that the number of alerts you see is significantly reduced,
as the products take care of consolidating and aggregating alarms into the
few that you require.  What you get is real-time analysis and triage on
inbound attacks which you can then action, in effect pulling the signal from
the noise.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Phil Hollows