IDS mailing list archives

Re: Entercept HIDS Question

From: <counterveil () yahoo com>
Date: 9 Mar 2004 00:28:52 -0000

I don't know why you had all these problems; our install went flawlessly.  We entered into a "discovery mode" (warning
mode on the agent) for 1 month to determine what normal traffic was like, wrote the appropriate exceptions and then
moved into full production mode (protect mode) with absolutely zero issues.

Entercept has been a dream for us and we have been hit with 0 worms / viruses / hacks since the install.

Sam, I can't specifically answer your question about replacing tripwire, but we did do a CPU utilization profile across
several hosts to try to fingerprint how much additional utilization our hosts would get with the agent.  We saw ~2.7%
increase in normal operations which is not much to speak of.  Good stuff.

I would highly recommend Entercept from my viewpoint.  I eval'ed CSA and Entercept and found the latter to be
better-suited to our environment.  Plus, I don't really trust this "no signatures" thing that CSA has - Entercept has
both a "signatureless" agent and signatures on their ISAPI filters, which is a nice thing when you hand a report to
management saying how much of a certain type of attack was blocked :)

Any questions, feel free to hit me up at my e-mail address below.

- Chris

counterveil () yahoo com

My company bought Entercept and then immediately removed it from
production if that tells you anything.  It caused blue-screen's like
crazy, huge performance issues, and blocked an inordinate amount of
allowed traffic.  This was even in detect only mode.