IDS mailing list archives

Re: nids for ipv6

From: Byron Sonne <blsonne () rogers com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:32:19 -0500

As of snort-2.1.1 (Feb 2004), the only thing snort does with IPv6 packets is count them.

That would explain why I had to dig so much to find out about it... but what about SID 411-414? Seems to me the framework is there and all that needs to be done is write the rules to handle what it is your after.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if more in depth stuff such as flag or option analysis wasn't up to snuff. Admittedly I haven't looked in depth into this. Perhaps one might do better on a system with better IPv6 support/integration like OpenBSD?

--

For Good, return Good. For Evil, return Justice.

Test your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out by easily testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.

Visit: www.coresecurity.com/promos/sf_eids1 to learn more.