IDS mailing list archives

RE: amount of alarms generated by IDS

From: "Runion Mark A FGA DOIM WEBMASTER(ctr)" <mark.runion () us army mil>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 00:27:39 -0000

Interesting ideas, but what happened to the concept of Expert System
Monitoring Platforms feeding on IDS outputs to drive actual timely updates
to firewalls?

Obviously to manage, control, and mitigate these types of attacks it is
necessary to use complete solutions in real time, not some fancy tool or
single system.  And no human operator can possibly do more than monitor such
systems at more than the deterministic level of "yes Charles H. doesn't need
his DSL today," or "okay the little slimeball can play around for a little
longer."  The attacks simply occur too fast to allow realistic response time
otherwise.

-
Mark Runion

"They used to read the 3000ppm water monitor with a magnifying glass."