IDS mailing list archives

Re: amount of alarms generated by IDS

From: Dennis Cox <dcox () tippingpoint com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 23:36:57 -0500

Jason,

I had to take you up on your offer. Here's a recent example we heard back from a customer.

A large cable company that provides Broadband Internet access uses software to monitor and provide troubleshooting support for subscribers. When their DNS server changed the software caused a terrible traffic problem with a large number of DNS requests. Using our IPS they were able to do two things: One Traffic Thresholds gave them the ability to detect and act on by blocking or rate shaping (administrators choice) the abnormal traffic. The threshold detected a large amount of DNS traffic of a certain type and limited DNS traffic of this type to a preset amount (10 percent of total bandwidth - it was eating up over 70 percent). They were able to write a filter for this traffic and install it in the IPS' to remove the traffic in the end. A good example of zero day protection.

Another example of how an IPS can protect you is by bad network equipment. A Sun Server had a bad ethernet cable that was creating malformed packets that would knock out the ********** firewall. It basically created an ISIC attack in it's own way. An IPS was installed and the firewall was fine. The customer however noted that he was still dropping lots of traffic. Sure enough the IPS was dropped the invalid ethernet frames and notifying them. He investigated - replaced the ethernet cable and problem solved.

So in both these cases an IPS was able to detect "wacky" network conditions and protect the network (or help diagnose - depends on your point of view). Your statement regarding patching is true - it's a really good idea. However, what do you do when a patch comes out and you need to install it on 30,000 machines before the attack comes out (sometimes the next day)? Or if your a University - how do you patch machines that aren't yours?

Dennis