IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS\IPS that can handle one Gig

From: "Andrew Plato" <andrew.plato () anitian com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:29:13 -0700

I have an extremely hard time accepting that this was a fair or real
test. I've thrown "gigs of traffic" at a TippingPoint and there was no
dying at all. I've seen them under intense ddos attacks - no problem. I
have numerous customers with "gigs of traffic" running through TP, never
have a problem with performance.

We sell Top Layer. I sold a fair number of them in 2004. They're okay
IPSs. Good performance and excellent at ddos. But, they have ample
weaknesses. You pointed out some (their business/support side is
abysmal.) We moved over to TippingPoint to replace TopLayer, because TP
did more and has outstanding performance.

Also - TippingPoint is ASIC based and can do rate limiting. In fact, Top
Layer and Tipping Point have VERY similar architectures. Their engines
are different, but their basic hardware really isn't that dissimilar.

___________________________________
Andrew Plato, CISSP
President/Principal Consultant
ANITIAN  ENTERPRISE  SECURITY