IDS mailing list archives

RE: on NIDS/NIPS tuning

From: "M. Shirk" <shirkdog_list () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:11:04 -0400

About a year ago, a client wanted ALL alerts with absolutely no filtering. This presented a problem for the analysts as there were 100,000+ events per day. We had to actually filter out events that were false positives and false alarms from the analysts' displays while still logging the events to a DB. There was a lot of wasted time on trying to archive and work with the DB when we could have just filtered the traffic.

That is the worst I can think of. In other environments, the sensors were tuned and regularly tested and were basically the analysts' best friends.

:-)

Shirkdog
http://www.shirkdog.us