IDS mailing list archives

RE: How to choose an IDS/FW MSS provider

From: Jason Baeder <jason_baeder () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:28:14 -0800 (PST)

I just couldn't resist wandering down this off-topic path ;-)

--- Andrew Plato <andrew.plato () anitian com> wrote:

Thus my point - while seeing the details of a signature is
fascinating
to security geeks, it is not terribly important to the vast majority
of
IT admins.

That's true.  However, as a security geek who is at the top of the
escalation path, signatures are more than a fascination.  Like Kjetil
Dahl-Hansen I would like the option to know more about what triggered
an alert.  Sure, the junior analysts may not care about sigs, and the
security admins may not care about sigs, but when one of them points to
an alert and asks me, "Is this something I should be concerned about?",
I care.  For me it's not a matter of "trusting" the vendor's
signatures; it's a matter of understanding how those signatures react
to the network's day-to-day traffic.

With SiteProtector I find myself yelling Jerry-Maguire-like at the
computer screen, "Show me the data!  Show me the data!"  If an IDS
console shows the signature and the raw data (like, say, sguil), in the
long run this saves time and money.  With better alert assessment at
the console, fewer alerts are passed to the general network/system
admin population for vetting.  Of course, this only works when you have
knowledgeable people at the console.

As such, I don't think the ability to see signature specs
is
an important measure of the value of an IPS/IDS product.

If I was in the business of selling IDS to customers to manage
themselves, I wouldn't put that criteria at the top of the list either.
 I understand completely why one of my predecessors recommended that my
current client deploy SiteProtector.  It _is_  something they can use,
understand, and maintain when my employer's contract ends, we leave,
and the SiteProtector stays behind.  The SOC crew that will take over
may not care for the inner workings of IDS alerts, and they'll probably
be content to open a ticket on an alert, pass it to the operations
folks, and wait for them to vet it.

Jason Baeder