IDS mailing list archives

Re: How to choose an IDS/FW MSS provider

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:13:29 +0530

On 21/03/05 06:21 -0500, Mark Teicher wrote:
<snip>
Actually support for open source has always been questionable over the
years, some projects have more a community support structure, but as we all
know, support is somewhat to be desired.  Although one can place a fairly

You get what you pay for, in this case. If you are willing to pay for
it, you can always find someone capable of maintaining it for you.
This isn't always a popular model with customers yet, but with a non
open source product, you are SOL.

popular intrusion detection solution in this category, but what happens in
10 years, will the focus of the community be on open source intrusion
detection or something else, like a new and improved logging utility for
example.  Black box, Crystal Box, it is all the same, each product and it's
support should be measured for what it is worth and also the knowledge
level that a particular IDS/FW MSS provider may or may not have.

I agree with that last statement. Measuring the level of knowledge that
a particular MSS provider has is hard.

Devdas Bhagat

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.