IDS mailing list archives

Re: How to choose an IDS/FW MSS provider

From: Stephane <stephane.d () ecologie net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:38:08 +0100

Brady, Rick wrote:

Melih,
I guess you must be special to ISS, from my experience the support has been sub-par. Also do you like the idea that ISS IDS signatures are not known to the customer and only ISS ?
Rick Brady
Liberty Mutual Group
I/S TSSS Engineering Network Access Control
mailto:rick.brady () libertymutual com
(603) 245-4214 8-435-4214sdn

Hi there,

What are you talking about? The support? do you mean people behind support () iss net or mss.support () iss net ?

What looks good with ISS, MSS Dept is that you have somehow the X-Force support http://xfoce.iss.net ; as far as I know and tell me if I am wrong, ISS is the only security provider having an R&D dept which is the X-Force team. My impression about Cisco IDS for example is that they just do follow the CERT to react (to react, this word is important, not to prevent). ISS supported by X-Force provides signatures sometimes a long time before the thread is even known. Do you want those guys to post those signatures to the mass in order to have Symatntec, Cisco or other Netscreen getting R&D free profits out of it? Not sure you'd do so.

Also, my question was about how to choose an IDS *AND* FW firewall. I know I am a bit out of the topic of this mailing-list but you can be good at IDS and maybe bad at firewalls which are much more complex through.

PS: and once again, ISS is in the gane for 10 long years. What about the competitors?

Thanks,

Stephane

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?