IDS mailing list archives

Re: How to choose an IDS/FW MSS provider

From: "David W. Goodrum" <dgoodrum () nfr com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:11:44 -0500

But, you're missing the point. What I'm saying is that the two technologies are merging where appropriate, and that it is a GOOD thing, even for large enterprises, not just small ones. The type of inspection that IDS devices do is totally required to STOP malicious traffic. IDS must be inline doing blocking to prevent the things that firewalls can't prevent... even in an enterprise network. Plus, just because your IDS is present in the form of IPS, doesn't mean that it's not still doing auditing also. It's not like it's all or nothing technology... you can pick and choose the types of events you want to prevent, and which ones are just audit, and good reporting let's the admin differentiate.

Plus, we see more and more people looking to deploy firewalls / IPS / Access Control devices internally. The reasons are many fold:

First, people want to be able to create quarantine zones internally (to contain an outbreak of a virus or worm internally). Traditional firewalls alone can't do this... it's got to be something doing Layer 7 inspection with IDS like detection. Traditional IDS can't do this either. Only when you combine the two philosophies can this be accomplished.

Second, people want the type of insight into the internal networks that IDS's have traditionally given them.

Third, the term "Intrusion" in "Intrusion Detection / Prevention Systems" has turned into a misnomer. For years people have looked at their IDS devices and asked it to do more. It's more like Network Security Policy Enforcement now. For example, when NFR first came out with their OS Fingerprinting years ago, we did it so that we could accurately re-assembly fragmented attacks. We did it to do Intrusion Detection better. But, what people really liked about it was that they could use that information to tune better (i.e. don't alert me on Windows attacks against Unix boxes), and later people began to realize that they could use this to detect when people were violating OS policies on their internal network. i.e. "alert me when you see Windows 98 OS's on my internal segments". This wasn't Intrusion Detection, this was OS Policy Enforcement. Then came Application Fingerprinting... originally, it was done to make tuning better (just like OS Fingerprinting in part), i.e. don't alert on IIS attacks against Apache servers. But, now it has turned into, "enforce policy on my network with regard to application servers". If it's just an IDS, it can't actually prevent people from accidentally running IIS/5.1 servers with the default XP install. It has to be inline, preventing to do that kind of policy enforcement. IDS isn't dead, but it isn't simply IDS anymore either. IDS is a great audit tool, but when you combine that technology with blocking technologies into one device, you get a brand new technology that does more than both put together. Synergy DOES exist when you combine the two, especially when you realize that IDS is no longer just "Intrusion" detection.

-dave