IDS mailing list archives

RE: What are the best open source cisco pix log analyzers?

From: "Robertson, Seth (JSC-IM)" <Seth.Robertson-1 () nasa gov>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:15:21 -0500

For the record I'll disagree with my own comment "there aren't any",
which was hasty. From what I know there are a much broader set of viable
options in the Linux/UNIX world than for the Windows platform...the last
time I reviewed open source firewall log analysis products the customer
insisted on a Windows server so that limited my options considerably,
and that biased my response.  That requirement is totally inappropriate
in pine's case because the two products he mentioned are Linux/UNIX.

The two links that people sent to syslog.org and loganalysis.org are the
best lists that I've come across. Again, I'm going to bite my tongue for
saying this (because it's obvious), but if you HAVE to use a Windows
machine your free/open source options are greatly limited. CiscoWorks is
great if you have the money (and it WILL cost you). I can't say you'll
need an inordinate amount more time molding an open source product to do
what you want than you would using CiscoWorks, but it will take more
time and there's obviously a different skillset required.  It will take
much less money though!

Mike didn't say it in respect of a NDA but I'll say from public
knowledge and from talking with friends there: Yahoo! uses a good deal
of open source (e.g., they're public about FreeBSD, MySQL AB) and more
power to them!  Open source was my bread and butter for some years and
I've done a tiny part here and there to contribute it too.  What I
should have said was that in my opinion there is no "Snort" of firewall
log analysis which basically dominates commercial alternatives.

Seth Robertson