IDS mailing list archives

RE: signature based IDS/IPS effectiveness

From: "Nelson Brito" <nbrito () sekure org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:00:53 -0200

Hi, fellows!!!

GMail, is depends on how the IDS/IPS approaches the detection of any or all
vulnerabilities. About two months ago, maybe more, I got a discussion about
the thread regarding pattern matching weakness.

Some of the IDS/IPS technology still uses the pattern matching as their
primary technology, using others technologies helping to decrease the
false-positives or even increasing the detection of false-negatives.

If you can configure customized signatures to detect a real vulnerability
you will be able to stop the annoying false-positives. And when I say
signatures to detect vulnerability I'm not talking about the detection of
the return-address, the detection of the shellcode, etc...

If you are able to tell your IDS/IPS to detection a buffer size, not NULL,
with all the variables the vulnerability must have to become exploitable...
So you are able to do whatever you want.

Best regards.

Nelson Brito (f.k.a. stderr)
Sekure SDI's Member since 1999