IDS mailing list archives

Re: CVE selection for IDS/IPS signature rules

From: Enigma <enigma () security-fu com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:43:47 -0400

Ravi Chunduru wrote:
Hi,

There are over 30000 CVE vulnerability reports.  Many IDS/IPS devices
have around 4000-5000 signature rules. My guess is that these
signatures may cover (detect)around 4000-7000 attacks.  23000 to 26000
CVEs, that is, significant number of CVEs are not covered by IDS/IPS
devices.

I am guessing that there is reason for this. IDS/IPS vendors may be
selecting few CVEs for developing signatures. What is the selection
criteria followed in industry? One criteria, I know is that Network
IDS/IPS devices don't need to worry about attacks that can only be
mounted on the local machine, that is,  NIDS/NIPS devices only need to
worry about detection of attacks mounted remotely. Are there any other
considerations?

Thanks
Ravi

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw to learn more.

Couple of things:

  1. If you are talking about Network IDS/IPS, not all vulnerabilities
are remotely exploitable. Some local vulnerabilities can only be detected by a HIDS if they can be detected at all.
  2. Keep in mind that CVE is Common **Vulnerability* *and Exposures,
     so it covers any vulnerability where IDS/IPS are generally
     exploit-centric.  How are you going to detect if a vulnerability
     is exploited if there is no publicly known exploit?  How do you
     find something when you don't know what it looks like?