IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS vs Application Proxy Firewal

From: "Kamra, Ashish" <akamra () purdue edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:54:53 -0400

Ashish Kamra wrote:
My two cents on this issue as a Phd student working on an AD system
for
a DBMS (who just wants get his Phd at the moment and not get into a
debate :-)).

If you want to get your PhD, then debating is quite important :D

Yes sir, I agree debating is important but again not debating this issue
:-).

I was at the Recent Advances in Intrusion Detection Conference (RAID
2008) recently where one of the topics for a panel discussion was
"Life
after antivirus". The main take-away from the discussion was that
even
top anti-virus companies are looking at whitelisting approaches to
augment the existing blacklists in order to win the battle against
ever
increasing malware variants.

Whitelisting is a good approach to execution authorization and for
fighting malware, this is quite well recognized I'd say. Intrusion
detection is a completely different beast though (and it seems quite
peculiar that at RAID this wasn't noted).

At RAID, it was not discussed how the hybrid approach will be useful for
intrusion detection. The proposed solution was mainly for tackling ever
increasing malware variants. And the strange thing was that it was
announced by one of the McAfee guys that technologies for whitelisting
have been known to the anti-virus companies for over a decade now, but
when asked for the specifics there were no answers as it was supposed to
proprietary stuff. Do you have any idea on what he might have been
talking about?

Thanks,
Ashish

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.