Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: it's all about timing

From: full-disclosure () lists netsys com (Tom Perrine)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:57:37 -0700

On Thu, 01 Aug 2002 16:03:33 +0300, Georgi Guninski <guninski () guninski com> said:

    GG> What scares me is that the "Responsible Disclosure" FUD continues.
    GG> On bugtraq people write that CERT and SecurtyFocus are "established parties" and
    GG> everyone who does not give them their 0days is irresponsible (at least CERT is
    GG> known to sell 0days). I personally won't give them my 0days early.

I would like to see evidence that CERT "sells 0days".  Pretty
significant claim.  Although, I probably wouldn't disclose the actual
exploits to CERT, just to the vendor.

    GG> The "Responsible Disclosure" draft continues to get advertised, though it was
    GG> not approved by IETF.

This is the problem.  IETF had a chance to put a stake in the ground,
and didn't.

--
Tom E. Perrine <tep () SDSC EDU> | San Diego Supercomputer Center
http://www.sdsc.edu/~tep/     |