Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Can DCOM be disabled safely?

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 22:00:47 -0500

Earlier today I posted some preliminary research that I had been doing into the ramifications of disabling DCOM. I reported that SMS was affected by it and several other things may be, including SUS, Group Policies and the Management Snap-in. Since then, I have been corresponding with a gentleman who has been testing disabling DCOM in a test environment.

So far it appears that disabling DCOM will *not* impact the snap-ins, SUS or policies. It also appears that it *may* not impact SMS either, although testing is ongoing. I just wanted to clarify this in case some had taken my comments to be the final word.

Obviously everyone's environment is different, and what works in one might not work in another. So proceed carefully.

With regard to my comments about SUS using Windows Update technology to verify patches (and therefore being subject to false positives), I quote from Microsoft:

"Software Update Services is based on the same back-end technology used on the public Windows Update site that has been servicing Windows customers since mid-1998."
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/windowsupdate/sus/suscomponents.asp>

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas