Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Win32 Cisco Exploit

From: "Bojan Zdrnja" <Bojan.Zdrnja () LSS hr>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 08:50:49 +1200

-----Original Message-----
From: full-disclosure-admin () lists netsys com
[mailto:full-disclosure-admin () lists netsys com] On Behalf Of
Michael Scheidell
Sent: Thursday, 24 July 2003 11:09 p.m.
To: Leif Sawyer
Cc: full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Win32 Cisco Exploit

Sometimes we run things like this on our 'judas goat' computer.
Not only is it not on our corporate network, but uses a different internet
provider.

We have sniffer^h^h^h^h^h^h^h snorter on it to watch the traffic.

We run full sysdifs before and after, and just to be double paranoid, put
the ghost image back on afterwards..  Don't forget to lock out the flash
bios update on the computer.

For these "suspicious" binaries, I'd always suggest running them on an
isolated computer (as you already do).

Also, there is a very nice utility Roxio (now Symantec?) makes called GoBack
which allows you to trace exactly what a process did and revert to the
previous state.
I've been using it to test various viruses and worms as it will print very
nicely absolutely everything that happened.

You might want to check it on:

http://www.symantec.com/goback/

Regards,

Bojan Zdrnja