Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Windows hosts file changing.

From: Brian Eckman <eckman () umn edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:50:59 -0500

David Gianndrea wrote:
Kind of sounds like this...

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100719.htm

Kevin Gerry wrote:

Does -ANYBODY- know how it occurs?

I've had this happen to a couple boxes of mine now...

New one:
--
127.0.0.1    localhost
66.40.16.131    livesexlist.com

Any idea how the search site is replacing that? =/ It's starting to piss me
off =/ I had some custom information in there that's now overwritten (Not
backed up)

Thanks =/

Actually, I don't think it sounds a damn thing like Qhosts.

Qhosts modifies DHCP-issued DNS server settings in the registry, and creates a new HOSTS file and tweaks the registry to use that HOSTS file. It doesn't touch the original HOSTS file.

This post exhibits no Qhosts behavior, and Qhosts doesn't exhibit any
of this behavior. I think Daniel got it right - quit going to porn
sites. Better yet, quit going to porn sites advertised in Spam.

Also, to respond to another comment, the MS03-040 patch might *not* address this type of attack on a system. Internet Explorer fully patched with default settings *still* allows silent delivery and install of executables. POC was sent to this list weeks ago.

Brian
--
Brian Eckman
Security Analyst

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who
understand binary and those who don't."

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html