Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: [PAPER] Juggling with packets: floating data storage

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 18:58:20 -0400

May I draw your attention to an old Gutmann paper that is still very much worth the read.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

There is another paper that is also worth the read but sadly I've lost the last reference to it I had.

Deletion of data in RAM and even replacing it does not ensure that the old data is not recoverable.

By distributing the data in chunks around the world you effectively ensure that the data can be deleted quickly and not reassembled. The physical separation of the chunks ensures that the data cannot be assembled and physically inspected as RAM could be.

Want an anonymous way to transfer keys for sensitive data that cannot be traced?

From: "Rick Wash" <rwash () citi umich edu>

This technique has one advantage that I can see being very useful -- it is
easy to delete large amounts of data quickly.   Imagine you hear the feds
knocking on your door -- you just unplug your fiber, and let all the light
(aka your data) fly out into the room.   Your data is gone, permanently.
If the latency is a minute, then it only takes a minute to delete

everything

-- all 6.5 GB of data according to your calculations.   Show me another
method that can delete 6.5 GB a data in a completely unrecoverable manner
that quickly.

A ramdisk.

Doug Moen.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.