Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [PAPER] Juggling with packets: floating data storage

From: Dave Clendenan <dave () dave clendenan ca>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 12:24:50 -0700

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 04:30:08PM +0100, bugtraq () umtstrial co uk wrote:
On Wednesday 08 October 2003 11:31 pm, Aron Nimzovitch wrote:

Show me another method that can delete 6.5 GB a data in a completely
unrecoverable manner that quickly.

Store your data on a crypto-loopback partition, but that requires a
passphrase, _and_ a key file containing random data to access it.

In the event of an "emergency", simply shred -uvz /path/to/keyfile, and
reboot.
Your data will be rendered completely useless.

better yet, if you generally have physical access to the machine, keep
a keyfile on a usb keychain.  I mount /home this way with on my
(slackware) laptop, with loop AES.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/loop-aes/

that way if the machine gets stolen they don't have the keyfile.

--
Dave Clendenan
dave () clendenan ca

PGP fingerprint: 910E 8400 7A16 822C 9B62  209F 6CAB DEDF BF4B DF75

    Subtlety is the art of saying what you think,
    and getting out of the way before it is understood

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html